ANTS News and Discussion Forum

ANTS - seeking views about starting a journal

ANTS - seeking views about starting a journal

by Christine Taylor -
Number of replies: 5
The Australian Nurse Teachers' Society (ANTS) is seeking your views regarding the potential to initiate a journal related to nurse/health education. This journal would be affiliated with ANTS. We would appreciate your feedback by completing the following anonymous short survey. Information collected through the survey will be collated and a report submitted to the ANTS National Executive and members for consideration prior to discussions with a publisher. Thank you for your assistance.

If you have any queries regarding this survey please contact:
Jan Sayers - j.sayers@uws.edu.au
Click the following link to the survey

Kind Regards Jan Sayers
ANTS National Executive member
In reply to Christine Taylor

Re: ANTS - seeking views about starting a journal

by Christine Taylor -
Hi, some people are having trouble with the link given on the email. This link works when you are in the ANTS site, but you can also copy and paste the URL (link) to another tab or window and it will work.

by Jennifer Blundell -

I think it would be terrific to have a journal.   However from past experience there are some factors to consider.

1. You need to ensure the existanc eof the jornal is widely disseminated, not just to ANTS members, as the life blood of any journal is the flow of articles that is submitted for publication.  Too few articles and the journal become spublishe dless frequently and this has the effect of less submissions for publication.  Impact is everything! 

2. Frequency of publication

3. You need to ensure that you have an editor and an editorial/ reviewer panel to assist.

4. Cost of journal. is it to be hard copy or electronic? 

5. Production. if hardcopy you can do a journal inhouse, or go upmarket. Upmarket means you need to build a number of subscribers for viability.  Otherwise you do it inhouse and the journal is part of the membership  fee and you bill outsiders who subscribe (eg.institutions)

6.  If the journal is a subscription based and ANTS produced, then this may have implications for taxation as there may be 'earnings'. However if the journal is not published by ANTS but by another source this would not be a problem.

by Deleted user -

HI Christine,

the journal idea sounds a very good one to me. Having a journal devoted to nurse education in Australia, with world articles of importance, would make very educational and interesting reading. I would be happy to contribute at times.

thank-you,

Tammy Gibb

by Stuart Taylor -
Dear Members,

Thank you to those members who responded to the survey regarding the proposal to develop a nurse education journal. Jan Sayer's survey report is attached. We are interested in any comments you may have regarding the recommendations. Please send comments to myself at ch.taylor@uws.edu.au

thank you

Christine Taylor PhD Secretary, ANTS

Dr Christine Taylor
Director of Clinical Education
Parramatta Campus, Bldg EI G15
University of Western Sydney
Locked Bag 1797, Penrith, NSW 2751
ph: (02) 9685 9029
fax: (02) 9685 9023
Email: ch.taylor@uws.edu.au
Mob: 0449 253 650
In reply to Stuart Taylor

by Melissa Bloomer -

Following on from the ANTS AGM held last Saturday I would like to share the short ppt presentation that I gave on the issue of where the eBulletin is heading and how we might like to move towards developing a peer-reviewed journal for production alongside the current eBulletin.

It is early days yet, and there are many many factors to consider, some of which are raised in the ppt presentation and associated discussion.

Food for thought.

Thanks

Melissa Bloomer
eBulletin Editor